I was searching for something healthy and easy to make for dinner and what started as sausage, kale & spaghetti squash boats turned into chicken, vegetables and spaghetti squash boats with a marinara topping! If you know me, you’ll know that I love reading cookbooks or recipes online. If I do not have all of the ingredients, I am happy improvising so that I don’t have to make another trip to the grocery store where inevitably, I purchase other items that I don’t really need.
The meal that I created is for two people with leftovers for the freezer to be used for another meal but could easily turn into feeding four people by purchasing and cooking 2 spaghetti squash or, you could use 1 squash and serve 4 people by removing the squash from the “bowl” and adding a side dish.
Recipe for Spaghetti squash with a meat, veggie & marinara topping for two or four people:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 16 oz package of ground chicken (could use other ground meat)
- 16 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed or chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- salt & pepper for both dishes to taste
- 2-24 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small package of basil, chopped
- Pierce & place squash in microwave for about 3 minutes, this will make it easier to slice in half.
- Cut squash in half and place face down in an oven proof dish for roughly 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Preparing the Meat & Veggie Mixture
- On top of the stove, place 1 tablespoon of olive oil & add 1/2 of the onion.
- When onions are translucent, add ground meat.
- When meat is cooked 1/2 way through, add zucchini and mushrooms. Stir in spinach at end. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- In medium pan, place 1 tablespoon of oil & other 1/2 of onions.
- Add garlic and tomatoes when onions become translucent.
- Cook for about 15 minutes on medium low heat. Sauce will reduce and thicken.
- Add sugar and salt & pepper
- Add chopped basil
Combining it all!
- Remove squash from oven, a fork inserted easily into skin means it is ready for your consumption!
- Using a fork, pull the squash away from the skin, leave it in its bowl.
- Place 1/4 of the ground chicken and veggie mixture on top of the squash
- Add marinara sauce to your liking-about 3/4 of a cup.
The steps in this recipe are simple and when combined, make a delightful presentation for two people or four individuals. If you are vegetarian, you can skip the ground meat and add a medley of other vegetables. The possibilities are endless!